Tuesday 27 September 2011

Free

This is a story
A story of me
This is no fairytale
but of truth that sets free

I’d been plodding for Jesus
But with the weight of a bus
Dragging behind me
While it started to rust.

“I’ve got big shoulders”
I always said
But the weight of the world
was more than lead

Life’s race- a spiritual battle
Been pushing onwards
But with a yoke like cattle
I was worn out and starting to rattle

But this is NOT how it’s suppose to be
It is for freedom that Christ set us free
The weight of the world, he took on the cross
He paid the price, to rescue the lost.

The bricks we carry,
He says- “Let me!”
Throw them into the water,
That makes fresh even the sea.

Shake off the ties,
The things that bind
Enjoy ALL his freedom
Seek first and you’ll find

The peace and the healing,
Come enjoy, taste and eat,
Lightness- so freeing,
His freedom complete.

I’m running for Jesus,
Pushing on for the prize,
He took it all on the cross
And put to death all the lies.

The Spirit of God wells up inside
The sowing of tears,
At last- Put aside!
In laughter and joy, it’s time to abide.

His precious daughter, no condemnation
I am a new creation,
His grace is enough for me
His love redeems and carries me.

“Not your shoulders, but mine instead!”
Because the weight of the word*
Was more than lead
He paid in full, then rose from the dead!

This is a story
A story of God and me
This is no fairytale
But of truth that sets free.

*Thought you found a typo? I'm afraid 'word' rather than 'world' has been left in on purpose, but can be interchanged. 

As part of the freedom that took place over the summer that inspired this poem, it had been words, a kind of 'promise' to God (well meaning but powerful and binding words)- many years ago that had 'tied me up' and made me vulnerable to being weighed down by more burden that wasn't mine to carry. However powerful words are, God's grace is enough and the new covenant takes away the requirement of legalism. It's taken close to a decade for this freedom to break in and break me out of this which had disguised itself as a God promise, I just needed to renounce those words and come to a place of repentance and God did the rest- amazing freedom and joy and life in multicolour.

Following Jesus, had involved the 'spiritual art' of plodding and slogging, i.e. keeping going despite spiritual opposition and pushing onwards, but it's a bit like in Hebrews 12, after God broke through, and we threw off all the stuff weighing me down and getting entangled around my feet I feel able to run (physically and spiritually) in a free way!

No comments:

Post a Comment